Tuesday, December 8, 2009

This one is for you, Jen!

I sent J something in the mail every day when he was a Boot Camp. Sometimes, when news was slow, he got interesting articles or cartoons from 'The New Yorker.' This one was among my favorites. I knew it would come in handy someday...:-)

My sister has been asking me to get her this recipe for some time, and I am a complete slacker. Since it is an old family recipe, she suggested that I post it for all you distant family members who might want/need it (and for anyone else out there who has ever thought "my life would be far more complete with an amazing cobbler recipe...")

I give you 'Pioneer Peach Cobbler' (my ultimate comfort dessert). Mom got it from my great -aunt Juventa (one of those poor kids named after the boat her parents immigrated on, I think - Mak? verify?) Anyway, for those family members who might be familiar with this recipe and are purists, I will warn you that I have made some tactical changes. Sorry, aunt venta. My way is just easier...This recipe is really amazing with fresh peaches, although it is also a good way to use up those peaches that you can every year and that your children won't eat (sound familiar?) Here goes:
Pioneer Peach Cobbler

2 c. Bisquick (you know, like the pioneers had...)
6 Tbs. butter or margarine
6 peeled and sliced peaches (or one jar) or apples, or pretty much any kind of fruit you want to use actually.

Cut the butter into the bisquick until you get crumbs "the size of small peas" Add water to dough by the teaspoonful until it is a consistency to roll out.

Mix:
3/4 c. Sugar
1 Tbs. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
"whisper of cloves"
"dash of nutmeg" (no, I am not channeling Mrs. Claus. These were her actual instructions. Interpret as you will :-)

(Technically, this is the part where you are supposed to roll out the dough mixture, spread butter and the spices on it, add the peaches and roll it up and slice, but I guarantee doing it this way will make you cuss.) Instead, spread the fruit evenly over the bottom of a glass pan and drop the dough mixture in balls evenly throughout (this makes it much easier for little hands to help. My boys love this part). Sprinkle the spice mixture over the top when finished.

Combine:
4 c. water
1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. lemon extract (crucial! This is the best part of the whole flavor.)

Shake well in covered jar and pour entire contents over the dough and fruit (it will look wet and wierd, but trust me...)

Dot four Tbs. of butter evenly throughout the pan and bake (uncovered) at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour (dough should rise to the top and look 'dry' when done). Eat with ice cream/whipped cream (or straight from the pan with a fork like I do...)

1 comment:

  1. Mmm. Now I'm hungry for some Pioneer peach cobbler. And yes, Aunt Venta was named after the ship her father immigrated to America on- The Juventa.

    ReplyDelete