Monday, March 29, 2010

Run or Walk?

I drive Junior to school every morning. Although I have never actually made him tardy, there are some mornings when we are running later than others. On those kinds of mornings, I shoo him out of the car in front of his school and urge him to run up to his classroom. Then we all sit and watch as he ambles slowly up the sidewalk. I roll down the window and shout "Junior, run!" He looks up in surprise and jogs back to the open window. "What?" he says.

So I stepped it up a notch when he really did need to run and made the instructions even clearer "Bye, Junior. Have a good day at school. You need to run as fast as you can up to your room. Run, not walk. Okay?" That definitely helped a little.

However, for the last week or two, we have been on time. Junior says his goodbyes to us all by name several times, double checks to remember who will be picking him up that day and heads up the sidewalk toward his class. About 3/4 of the way there, he checks and stops, turns and runs back to the car "Oh yeah, mom. Am I supposed to run or walk?"

Well, NOW you should probably run! (bless his heart :-)

1 comment: