Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day



We fixed a Father's Day dinner for my dad, complete with my once a year caramel pecan cheesecake, and he ended up having to stay home because the canyon between here and there was closed for an accident.

So, Happy Father's Day to my dad, from whom I inherited my green eyes, sentimental streak, tendency to worry like a champ and complete inability to allow anyone to leave my house empty handed. Happy Father's Day to the man who taught me how to shoot a gun, do yard work well and occasionally got us all out of bed so we could go outside to hear an owl hoot or to watch Halley's Comet. Mom may not remember this as fondly, but we loved the chickens, ducks and turkeys that you spontaneously brought us home to raise.

Happy Father's Day to the dad who always expected the best out of us and who was absolutely right when he told me that I was "smart enough to be a straight A student" any time I brought home bad grades. All seven of us work hard at 'keeping our wits about us' even though it took us all many years to have a clue what that phrase even meant :-)

Happy Father's Day to my most regular correspondent while I was at school and when I lived in Holland (and who bullied the other siblings into writing me as well.) And to the one who made us all call before we left work at night as teenagers so he would know if we got stuck or lost along the way.

Happy Father's Day to the best Grandpa, who will always be a legend among his grandchildren because his toy collection rivals all of theirs put together, and who (I quote) "lets us bring home toys all the time." The kids will always remember Papa taking them crawdad fishing, to the 'stuffed up animal store' and roasting hot dogs in the fireplace.

Happy Father's Day Dad/Grandpa. We love you!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice tribute! Maybe it's time to start planning another family reunion! AJ

    ReplyDelete